Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Rough Theatre

Theatre has been a part of my life for a long time. Because of this, I have an easy time understanding the concept of rough theatre.  In rough theatre, it’s okay to see the strings because the audience expects them.  We don’t try to simulate reality but instead honestly depict it. In Tim O’Brien’s novel The Things They Carried, he makes the point that often fiction is more effectively truthful than fact can ever be.  I am personally quite invested in this idea and I believe the idea rough theatre compliments it. Rough Theatre does not concern itself with immersing its audience in a false reality and through calling attention to itself through its very form it becomes more insightful into life. This kind of theatre has no need for grand halls, giant intricate sets, and carefully applied make up. It’s only focus is on saying what it wants to say.  This idea applies to filmmaking just as it does to theatre. Films don’t have to be epic quests filled with orcs, romance, and explosions.  They don’t even have to have the best writing or acting. What is important is that it has something to say. Films have something to say whether they are shot on the industry’s best cameras or on a camcorder found in the attic. Whether they are shown in a multiplex or on youtube. I think the idea of rough theatre reminds me that art doesn’t have to be perfect and I should never let fear of imperfection dissuade me from trying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment